Oooo, each time I believe that Cricut can’t carry out extra superior goodies than they have already got they do! They despatched me a Cricut Mug Press to check out and my obsession with creating stunning mugs at the moment are actual. I have to admit that I used to be a bit scared utilizing the mug press for the primary time, however after cutting some balsa wood with my Cricut Maker 3 to make miniatures earlier than I’ve a lot extra confidence in making an attempt out new issues.
What’s the Cricut Mug press?
The Cricut Mug press is comparatively new within the South African market – The mug press is mainly a mug-shaped or curved model of Cricut’s different warmth press merchandise. Your designs get completely wrapped and ‘baked’ with excessive warmth and stress to the surface of a espresso mug utilizing both Cricut Infusible Ink sheets and or designs drawn with Infusible Ink markers (NOT vinyl or warmth press vinyl). What’s much more spectacular is that the designs are PERMANENT and dishwasher secure!
How does the Cricut Mug press work?
You do not want a Cricut Good cutter essentially along with your mug press, relying on the kind of designs that you’re planning on doing. It’s clearly simpler so that you can completely reduce the templates for the mugs utilizing any of the Cricut Good cutters and the one means I do know to chop your designs on the Cricut Infusible Ink sheets.
In case you make use of the Cricut infusible ink pens (Like what I’ll use) you’ll be able to draw the designs and hand reduce the templates to measurement.
Can I take advantage of any clean mugs within the Cricut Mug Press?
Cricut has some very nice sublimation mugs in numerous sizes and formed accessible that you need to use along with your mugpress so as to add your designs to. You can not use any clean rugs within the press, they have to be particular sublimation mugs and it’s important they they’ve straight edges. The Cricut mugs are poly-coated making them good for the sublimation course of. These mugs feel and look like every other ceramic mug, however they’re totally different, if you’re ever uncertain concerning the mugs you’ve gotten each the Cricut brand and mug measurement are printed on the underside of the mugs.
Unboxing your Cricut Mug press and getting began
What’s contained in the Cricut Mug Press field?
- A Cricut Mug Press
- An influence wire
- An ‘Open Me’ envelope with directions to get you began
- A micro-USB to USB-A cable for connecting the machine to your laptop (you probably have an apple gadget it’s worthwhile to have a USB port to attach)
To get began utilizing the Mug press
In case you are a primary time consumer it’s worthwhile to download the Cricut Design Space (DS) first in your PC (despite the fact that you don’t have to make use of them with the designs). This device is a free design device that you just use along with your Cricut machine. After set up, open the Cricut Design House and go to the menu within the higher left, click on on ‘New Machine Set Up’. Observe the prompts to pick a Warmth Press after which the Cricut Mug Press.
Join your new Cricut Mug Press along with your laptop utilizing the USB wire and observe the remainder of the directions.
Making DIY Watercolour Mugs with my Cricut Mug Press
After I acquired the Cricut Mug Press I assumed it will be superb to someway be capable of use the Cricut Infusible ink to watercolour paint on the mugs, however I had no thought find out how to. I attempted researching what the ink shoudl be combined with and find out how to get the paint to combine with both water or alcohol. What is sweet about watercolour portray is that you really want little or no ink to do the portray as you’ll be able to all the time go darker, by no means lighter.
After a great deal of researching and chatting to mates Melanie Wessels (who additionally took these photographs with me) She got here up with a profitable plan! I clearly additionally wanted her superb watercolour abilities to make this dream a actuality!
What you’ll need to create these watercolour mugs
- A Cricut Mug Press
- Cricut infusible ink pens (The set I’ve comprises 5 colors, however I’m planning to buy the larger set with extra colors as effectively!)
- Watercolor paper
- Regular A4 printing paper (3 sheets)
- Water in a small container
- Watercolor paint brushes
- A palette to combine the watercolours in
- A clean Cricut mug within the measurement of your alternative
- Cricut Warmth Resistant tape
- A pot stand to put the mug on to chill after sublimation
- Rigorously open up the again of the Cricut infusible ink pens utilizing a plier.
- Pop the tube of ink out and tie it a delicate squeeze to drop a drop of coloration to the paint palette.
- Combine some water with the ink to create the watercolours. Bear in mind to shut the pens tightly afterwards to maintain them from drying out.
- Utilizing the watercolour paints you created, paint stunning photographs. It is possible for you to to press 2 mugs from an A4 sheet. Look forward to the ink to dry fully.
- Use the Cricut infusible ink pens so as to add some detailing to your picture.
- Flip your Cricut mug Press on with the ability on button as it is going to take a while to warmth up.
- Now you can both reduce the paper to suit round your mug your self utilizing scissors or use one of many predefined templates on the Cricut Design House with a Cricut Good Cutter. (See a hyperlink to those I used here.)
- Wrap the template across the mug securing it utilizing the Cricut Warmth Switch Tape.
- Fold 3 Sheets of A4 printing paper in half, reduce them a tad smaller to additionally wrap across the design securing it with the Cricut Warmth Switch Tape.
- As soon as the Mug Press has reached the proper Temperature the ability on button will flip from Strong orange to inexperienced indicating that it’s prepared to be used.
- Ensure that the aspect flap is open, place your mug, backside down within the warmth press and shut the flat once more.
- The smaller indicator lights will point out how far you’re within the warmth press course of, as soon as they’re all lit up you’ll hear a sound to point which you can open up the flap once more to launch the mug. (Roughly 6-8 minutes)
- Rigorously take away the mug from the press and place it on a pot stand or warmth resistant floor to chill fully earlier than eradicating the picture from the aspect.
Now, all it’s a must to do is locate an superior buddy like mine to color some stunning prints (if you’re unable to take action your self).
I might LOVE to see how you employ your Cricut Mug press to create some superior mugs! Please tag me on Instagram @Lovilee_za and I’ll share some love in return.
Thanks to Melanie Wessels Photography for the gorgeous photographs.
Let’s get social