China’s Journey and Tourism sector forecast to see swift post-pandemic restoration regardless of extended restrictions


The World Journey & Tourism Council’s (WTTC) 2023 Financial Impression Analysis (EIR) immediately reveals China’s Journey & TourismWTTC sector’s GDP contribution is forecast to develop greater than 150% this 12 months.

The sector is about to contribute CNY 9.9TN to the economic system this 12 months, edging nearer to the 2019 pre-pandemic excessive of CNY 12.27TN.

Regardless of the consequences of the pandemic spanning into 2022 in China, WTTC is forecasting for the sector to create virtually 11.5MN jobs this 12 months, recovering one in two of the roles misplaced to achieve 74.7MN. This implies round one in 10 staff in China, are immediately or not directly employed within the Journey & Tourism sector.

Whereas the sector remains to be shy of seven.9MN jobs to achieve pre-pandemic ranges, by the tip of this 12 months it’s going to solely be 10% beneath 2019 ranges.
Worldwide customer spend in China is forecast to develop greater than 50% this 12 months to achieve greater than CNY 306BN. Though that is constructive development, it’s nonetheless virtually 70% beneath the 2019 peak.

A glance again on final 12 months

On account of ongoing journey restrictions, final 12 months the sector’s GDP contribution declined by virtually 30% to achieve CNY 3.9TN, representing simply over 3% of the economic system.

In 2019, earlier than the pandemic, the Journey & Tourism sector in China was value CNY 12.3TN, representing virtually 12% of the economic system.
The sector noticed jobs decline in 2022, from the earlier 12 months, to a low of 62.9MN jobs nationally – one in 12 jobs throughout China.

Worldwide guests spend in China additionally declined in 2022 as the consequences of extended journey restrictions continued to have a chokehold on the sector. Worldwide customer spends declined an additional 8.5%, remaining virtually 80% beneath 2019 ranges.

Home customer spends adopted an identical sample, declining 33% final 12 months, remaining 67% beneath 2019 ranges.

Julia Simpson, WTTC President & CEO, mentioned: “Journey & Tourism is a crucial driver of financial development and job creation to China, and we predict a major increase to the worldwide Journey & Tourism sector as residents start to journey as soon as once more.

“The very fact China has reopened is nice information. In 2019 Chinese language vacationers represented 15% of worldwide spending and that determine is about to develop. We’re urging governments to prioritise and streamline visa functions to make sure embassies can handle the excessive visa demand from Chinese language residents.”

In 2019 and 2022, between 74-77% of worldwide guests to mainland China got here from Hong Kong, Macau, Myanmar, South Korea, Japan, the U.S. and Vietnam. There have been 49.7MN arrivals from these supply markets in 2019, nonetheless in 2022, this diminished by 85% to 7.2MN arrivals.

What does the subsequent decade seem like?

The worldwide tourism physique is forecasting that the sector will develop its GDP contribution to virtually CNY 27TN by 2033, 14% of the Chinese language economic system and can make use of over 100MN individuals throughout the nation, with one in seven Chinese language residents working within the sector.


In 2022, the Asia-Pacific Journey & Tourism sector contributed $1.6TN to the regional economic system, however that is nonetheless 50% behind the 2019 peak. WTTC forecasts the area’s GDP contribution from the sector will attain greater than $2.6TN in 2023 – simply 16% beneath the 2019 highpoint.

The sector employed over 155MN individuals throughout the area in 2022, a rise of 8.7MN from the earlier 12 months however nonetheless 15% behind pre-pandemic ranges. WTTC forecasts the sector will totally get better the roles misplaced throughout the pandemic by the tip of 2024.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *