It wasn’t a easy job to slender down the very best waterfalls in Africa, however after spending over a 12 months touring this superb continent we knew we needed to put collectively our favourite Africa waterfalls, together with the very best waterfall in Africa, and largest, and most well-known!
Africa is a large continent, so it’s unlikely you’d have the ability to go to all of those, however they’re all meant to be added to the Africa bucket checklist.
Well-known Waterfalls in Africa to Go to
- Location: Masindi, Uganda
- Value: International non-nationals should pay $40 USD to enter the park. Extra companies like car entry, parking, and experiences resembling safaris are an additional value.
- Be Positive to: Attempt a riverboat safari for the possibility to see hippos, buffalo, crocodiles, and different African animals of their pure habitat.
Murchison Falls is a tremendous waterfall between two lakes in western Uganda’s Murchison Falls Nationwide Park. Water from the Victoria Nile rushes at unimaginable pace by a slender hole earlier than falling over 140 toes right into a 33-foot extensive gorge beneath. It’s among the best stops to make in case you’re self driving Uganda or after going gorilla trekking in Uganda.
- Location: Close to Chefchaouen, Morocco
- Value: 25 dirhams for a ‘grand taxi’ from town, which can drop you on the carpark.
- Useful Information: The hike from the carpark is a bit of over two hours however it’s clearly marked and non-strenuous. There’s a little waterfall about one hour into the hike the place you possibly can relaxation earlier than persevering with.
Positioned within the Rif Mountains simply an hour northeast of the attractive blue town of Chefchaouen, the Cascades D’Akchour is an attractive waterfall set in a magical, mossy forest. The gorgeous path follows a gently trickling river and passes a number of smaller cascades alongside the best way.
- Location: Chimpempe, Zambia
- Value: 328 ZMK entry
- You Can Camp Right here: This can be a great spot for camping and new amenities have just lately been constructed to accommodate vacationers wishing to camp on the banks.
Simply among the best waterfalls in Africa! Positioned on the Kalungwishi River, Lumangwe Falls is a shocking cataract waterfall in northern Zambia. The water falls from a top of 130 toes, and these African falls span 525 toes in width. The most effective viewpoints are from the higher cliff on the riverbank or from a excessive cliff instantly reverse the falls.
- Location: Tanaghmeilt, Azzilal, Morocco
- Value: Entrance is free however partaking in any guided companies will value anyplace from 20 to 150 dirham.
- Be Positive To: Preserve your eyes peeled for wildlife, together with the area’s Barbary monkeys.
The gorgeous Ouzoud Falls are among the many most superb waterfalls in Africa and at 330 toes excessive they’re among the many tallest. Its title comes from the Berber for ‘grinding grain’, as a result of historical mills nonetheless close by to this present day. There are stunning walks alongside the higher cliffs and you may swim within the swimming pools beneath.
Blue Nile Falls
- Location: Tissisat, Ethiopia
- Value: 50 birr per grownup
- Be Positive to Verify Out: Don’t miss the seventeenth century stone bridge, constructed within the Portuguese model and the oldest of its sort within the nation.
The Blue Nile Falls pours from the Blue Nile River in Ethiopia. These African falls are virtually 140 toes excessive and initially got here from 4 streams that mixed throughout the wet season. There’s a hydroelectric dam to regulate a lot of the facility however these stunning falls are nonetheless a sight to behold throughout the moist season, August through September.
- Location: Royal Natal Nationwide Park, South Africa
- Value: R 75 for the falls, and R 45 for the doorway into the nationwide park.
- Hike: The most effective view of the falls is through the tough Sentinel Path or by the better route by Tugela Gorge which lands you on the foot of the falls.
It’s not a well-known South Africa fact that they maintain the very best waterfall in Africa. At 3110 toes excessive, Tugela Falls in South Africa are the second tallest falls on this planet, and the very best waterfall in Africa. Tugela Falls consists of 5 particular person cascades. The water circulate is seasonal and may dry up totally in significantly dry seasons, however throughout peak wet season, the circulate is spectacular.
- Location: Zambia-Tanzania border
- Value: 15 kwacha for non-residents
- Tip: Take a look at Lake Tanganyika in your return hike (steep, and finest for knowledgeable hikers).
This can be a waterfall shared by Zambia and Tanzania, touchdown proper on the border. It’s the second tallest free-falling waterfall in Africa at 725 toes excessive. Throughout the dry season when the water stream is lowered to a small trickle, it’s doable to face with one foot in every nation. To see the Africa waterfall in excessive circulate go to in Could or June. The location is distant, so an early begin is finest to beat the warmth in your approach there.
- Location: Malanje Province, Angola
- Value: Free, however tour guides might value additional.
- Journey Tip: For stunning dawn and sundown views, e book your keep at Pousada de Calandula, the clifftop resort.
This 344 toes excessive waterfall is situated on the Lucala River in northern Angola. At 1,300 toes extensive it’s one of many bigger falls by quantity in Africa. Its cliff sits on the fringe of a lush forest and the numerous particular person cascades give it a powerful spray, particularly throughout the wet season; that is additionally when you possibly can swim within the swimming pools beneath.
Maletsunyane Falls, Lesotho
- Location: Lesotho, south of Semonkong metropolis
- Value: None, although employed trekking companies might value additional.
- Cool Expertise: The Semonkong Lodge affords pony treks and group hikes the place you’ll find the very best vantage factors.
The beautiful Maletsunyane Falls are a 630 toes waterfall in Lesotho, and one of many best places to visit in Africa. The Maletsunyane River barrels off of lush inexperienced cliffs above. The underlying basalt stone is from the Triassic Jurassic interval and the rock seems to dip in a pure V. In accordance with native legend, the roaring sound of the falls comes from the wails of the souls who perished on the falls.
Wli Falls (domestically named Agumatsa Waterfall)
- Location: Hohoe, Volta Area, Ghana
- Value: None
- Don’t Neglect: A pair of safari binoculars and maintain your eyes peeled for wildlife within the type of tropical birds, butterflies, fruit bats, and baboons.
At 260 toes excessive that is the tallest waterfall in Ghana. It has an higher and decrease cascade and is surrounded by the Agumatsa Wildlife Sanctuary. There are pure swimming pools on the backside of each falls the place you possibly can swim. You may both hike the decrease, simpler path or take the tougher path to the highest of the falls. Peak wet season is the very best time to go to, although it may be unsafe to navigate on account of slippery terrain.
- Location: On the Zambia-Zimbabwe border. Livingstone in Zambia and Victoria Falls City in Zimbabwe
- Value: $50 USD
- Good to Know: If you happen to’re on the Zambia facet, you possibly can swim in “Satan’s Pool”, a pure infinity pool set excessive up with breathtaking views of the falls. Nevertheless the waterfalls are stronger on the Zambia facet, that means the view is best from Zimbabwe.
You’ve possible heard of this waterfall in Africa! Victoria Falls is without doubt one of the seven wonders of the pure world, so you recognize it’s some of the superb waterfalls in Africa. At over a mile extensive, it’s the world’s greatest steady sheet of falling water and the continent’s most well-known waterfall.
At 1708 meters extensive it’s the most important waterfall in Africa. Throughout the wet season is the very best time to go to, as the quantity of water falling over the sting each second is past spectacular.
- Location: Kapchorwa Province, Uganda
- Value: None
- Go on a Tour: The realm surrounding Sipi Falls is understood for rising Arabica espresso. There are excursions accessible of the espresso farms, with tastings included, and proceeds contribute to group initiatives.
Sipi Falls is situated in Uganda and consists of three very tall particular person cascades, the tallest of which towers at 328 toes excessive. The falls are on the fringe of Mount Elgon Nationwide Park.
There’s a seven km loop path that may take you shut to every fall. If you happen to plan to hike Mount Elgon, this can be a good place to start out, and there are lots of lodging choices alongside the route.
- Location: Kundelungu Nationwide Park, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Value: Transportation might value additional, however the falls themselves wouldn’t have an entrance payment.
- Fascinating to Know: Close by Likasi was, and stays, a hub for mining and the world nonetheless has cobalt, radium, uranium, and copper mines. There’s even an deserted gold mine the place some artisanal miners nonetheless work.
With a complete freefall top of 1,115 toes, it’s no surprise that Lofoi Falls is without doubt one of the most superb waterfalls in Africa. It’s among the many tallest in Central Africa, and although its water depletes throughout the dry season, it is extremely spectacular throughout the moist season when it rushes over the cliff edge right into a deep gorge beneath.
- Location: Luapula Province, Zambia
- Value: None
- Swimming: A few of the higher swimming pools are nice for swimming and this a part of the nation will get extremely popular, so it’s an effective way to chill off.
Ntumbachushi Falls are an attractive collection of leveled falls and swimming pools, situated in Zambia within the province of Luapula. The location is extraordinarily picturesque and straightforward to entry, making it an excellent place to camp and hike.
The waters of the falls had been stated to be bathing websites for future chiefs earlier than ascending to their thrones, to cleanse any dangerous luck. The walkways within the space are nicely developed, so the falls are simply accessed by taxi after which on foot.
- Location: Howick, KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa
- Value: None
- It’s a Nice Day Journey: The falls themselves are solely minutes away from town of Howick, so this can be a nice half-day journey in case you’re staying in Howick.
Howick Falls is a tremendous waterfall within the South African province of KwaZulu-Natal. The overall top sits at round 310 toes, with a powerful single chute of water that falls from the Umgeni River.
The falls are wealthy in native legends courting again tens of hundreds of years, together with that solely conventional South African healers can safely method the falls, and one other that the Inkanyamba, an enormous serpent-like creature, lurks within the deep basin on the base of the falls.
- Location: On the border of Namibia and Angola
- Value: Entrance to the falls is free however entry to the Sundowner viewpoint prices $10 NAD.
- It’s an Adventure: Epupa Falls is far from just about anything, but if you have the time it’s worth adding to your Namibia road trip.
The Epupa Falls are a big collection of waterfalls flowing from the Cunene River on the Namibian-Angolan border and one of many best things to do in Namibia. The river is 1,600 toes extensive and its many waterfalls drop between distinctive trying rock formations of the cliff. The realm has an extremely wealthy variety of flora, together with fig bushes and baobabs, lots of which sit on the excessive rocks between waterfalls.
- Location: Mpumalanga, South Africa
- Value: None
- Journey Tip: The falls are close to the city of Graskop in an space recognized for its pure wonders. Within the space past the falls, there are Bourke’s Luck Potholes (rock formations with erosion holes and water swimming pools) and the Three Rondavels, spherical, beehive-shaped mountain ‘peaks’. All are enjoyable stops on a South African road trip.
These superb waterfalls in Africa are situated in Mpumalanga, South Africa alongside the Panorama Route, it’s some of the well-known waterfalls in Africa. They stand at a powerful 308 toes excessive and cut up into two separate cascades that pour into Lisbon Creek beneath.
- Location: Niger State, North Central Nigeria
- Value: 500 Naira
- When to Go: The water tends to be a bit of brown throughout the wet season and is clearest throughout the dry months from November to March.
The Gurara Waterfalls are a collection of low sitting, tiered falls whose water cascades into pure swimming pools beneath. The location is wealthy with historic folklore and native legends, together with being named for 2 African deities. The falls are simply accessible and you will get fairly shut in case you’re ready to scramble over some rocks (put on footwear with grip for this).
- Location: Mauritius
- Value: No entrance payment however transportation prices will differ.
- Pamper Your self: A few of these swimming pools comprise garra rufa (famously often known as the ‘fish pedicure’) of their pure habitat. Get a pedicure whilst you swim!
Tamarind Falls are a collection of seven particular person cascades on the Tamarin River in southwest Mauritius, a small island east of Madagascar. They’re situated in a distant space however due to this, the pure environment are largely unspoilt.
The realm has a number of different waterfalls, canyons, protected cliff leaping, pure swimming pools, and luxurious vegetation, making your entire area really feel like a tropical dream.
- Location: Ivindo Nationwide Park, Gabon
- Value: None for entrance to the falls however a information is important and prices will differ.
- Keep an eye out for African animals: Throughout your voyage to succeed in the falls, maintain a watch out for a various array of wildlife, resembling parrots, gorillas, chimpanzees, and elephants that inhabit the area.
Kongou Falls has a few of the strongest-flowing waters on this planet. These falls cowl quite a lot of floor over three kilometers extensive. Their distant location is an adventurer’s dream, because the falls’ web site is accessible solely through a three-and-a-half-hour pirogue (canoe) journey alongside the river that follows a dense rainforest.
Waterfalls in Africa Map
Plan Your Journey to Africa
- Travel Insurance: We don’t journey with out journey insurance coverage and neither do you have to. You by no means know what can occur whereas touring so it’s finest to be ready. HeyMondo supplies glorious short-term and long-term journey insurance policy.
- Journey Waterbottle: After we’re unsure in regards to the water provide we use our Grayl Purifier. It’s are available in exceptionally useful round Africa.
- Digital camera Gear: Chances are high you’ll desire a digicam in your journey to Africa. We love the Sony RX100V for a pocket-size digicam and the Fujifilm XT-4 for an expert digicam. Take a look at our favorite cameras for Africa.
- Safari Garments: Light-weight, beige, and moisture-wicking clothes are nice for touring Africa. See our favourite safari clothing here.
- Safari Hat: hat is each trendy and purposeful.
- Safari Bag: A sturdy bag is good for touring round Africa.
- Safari Pants: We suggest neutral-colored pants as they’re nice at hiding dust and may match most shirt colours.
- Safari Shirt: Shirts like these are light-weight and maintain the bugs away!
- Boots: Whilst you don’t must put on sturdy footwear on daily basis, no less than one pair of safari boots will make your journey nicer!
- Travel Adapter: You’ll want a particular journey adapter for touring Africa. Get one before you get there so that you don’t pay a premium on the bottom.